Company: Shelter Insurance
Posted on: December 10, 2018
A company built to serve you. It's your career, Shelter it!
The Underwriting Associate reviews and analyzes policy submissions and updates, and agents' and policyholders' transactions. Responsible for accurate and timely handling of requested policy transactions consistent with underwriting guidelines and procedures. Communicates with agents, policyholders, loss payees and mortgage companies regarding policy changes, rates and underwriting procedures. Subject matter expert to resolve problems with policy issuance, policy updates, and policy rating. Requires the ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Minimum starting salary: $15.60 per hour
If interested, please apply by:
- Responsible for accurate and timely reviewing and issuing of new business applications. Evaluates and completes policy changes and requests from policyholders, agents and underwriters. Uses various automated systems and email correspondence to complete requested changes and make appropriate premium adjustment decisions. Reviews and calculates annual General Liability audits.
- Terminates policies. Creates letters to insureds and correspondence to agents on terminations and other policy service issues. Assists co-workers and agents with procedure questions. Reviews and analyzes agent Journal of Transactions. Works with agents to assist in submission of applications and changes.
- Researches complex money transactions. Identifies what portions of the New Business or Policy Change packet need to be completed and how money should be distributed to accurately complete the business transaction.
- Responds to faxes, incoming phone calls, e-mails and phone mail messages accessing necessary information through various automated systems to provide accurate information or assistance to agents, loss payees, mortgagees and policyholders in a timely manner within authority guidelines.
- Reviews advice notices on various policies to determine appropriate action to complete policy update. Requests additional documentation when needed. Creates accurate loss run histories for insureds and reinsurance placement and renewals. Accesses on-line databases to determine accurate underwriting data. Calculates policy change and renewal premium on manually rated policies. Determines and validates information for manually typed declarations and ensures declarations are added to the image system.
- Determines if valid signature forms are imaged and adjusts coverages as needed to comply with state guidelines. Assists agents with issues in obtaining correctly completed forms. Responsible for completing certificates of insurance that require special handling.
- Works with state and federal agencies for motor truck and cargo filings, including submitting and cancelling filings, invoicing for filing fees, and conducting monthly filing reviews.
- Researches money issues including duplicate, excess, or partial payments, misapplied money, and audit premium. Researches and reforms policies over numerous policy terms to correct policy, processes for reinstatement fee waiver requests. Divides money as needed and applies to policies.
- Assists with training and mentoring of new Underwriting Associates.
- Performs other duties as requested by the Underwriting Supervisor or Manager.
- Superior customer service orientation.
- Above average knowledge of math calculations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for interaction with agents, policyholders, loss payees, mortgagees and other Company personnel with regard to processing guidelines and procedures.
- Must be able to operate keyboard with speed and accuracy.
- Must be proficient in operating computer, calculator, telephone and fax machine.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- General education at high school level and above.
- Six to twelve months on-the-job training to learn underwriting guidelines, procedures, and forms; establish work routine and schedule, and to effectively navigate and locate information in various department online databases and resources.
- Required completion of in-house training courses such as computer basics, telephone skills, and continued position-based skills training.
- Insurance fundamental courses are recommended.
- Works under moderate supervision and is accountable for efficient, accurate, and timely issuance of applications and requested policy changes.
- Effectively communicates with agents, policyholders, loss payees, and mortgagees regarding policies in a timely manner.
- Responsible for making routine decisions in accordance with defined underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to work well with individuals throughout the Company having a wide range of understanding of the underwriting process.
- Proficient in maintaining schedules and prioritizing work tasks.
Keywords: Shelter Insurance, Columbia , Underwriting Associate, Other , Columbia, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!