Custodian - Evenings
Company: Hillsboro R-III School District
Posted on: March 14, 2023
2022-2023 POSITION TITLE: Custodian
RATE OF PAY: $12.00 - 14.05 Hourly depending on education &
REPORTS TO: Principal/Director of Building & Grounds
DEPARTMENT: Buildings & Grounds
To provide students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean and
efficient place in which to learn, play and develop by keeping
school buildings in sanitary, working condition.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be
assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, and vacuums hallways and corridors. Dusts
and cleans furniture.
- Follows procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power
equipment to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Disinfects restrooms, sanitary fixtures, and drinking fountains
- Mixes water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare
cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Cleans windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, and
- Maintains building(s), performing minor and routine painting,
plumbing, electrical wiring, and other related maintenance
activities as approved by the Principal/Director of Building
- Notifies management concerning need for major repairs or
additions to lighting, heating, and ventilating equipment
- Assumes responsibility for the opening and closing of the
building and for determining, before leaving, that all doors and
windows are secured, and all lights, except those left on for
safety reasons, are turned off.
- Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all
panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building
- Moves furniture or equipment within buildings as required for
various activities and directed by the principal/supervisor.
- Reports and properly documents any damage or misuse of school
property to the Director of Building and Grounds and the
- Posts signs to caution students or faculty of wet floors or
services temporarily out of order.
- Complies with procedures for the storage and disposal of trash,
rubbish and waste.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other Duties may be
assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the secondary job
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as
- Shovels, plows, and/or sands walks, driveways, parking areas
and steps as directed by principal/supervisor.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for new hires or
Manpower/contractors as directed by the Principal/Director of
Buildings and Grounds.
- Keeps an inventory of supplies and equipment and requisitions
such needed replacements from the Director of Buildings and Grounds
far enough in advance so that they may be delivered in such times
as will not hinder their duties.
- Performs additional tasks and assumes such other
responsibilities as assigned by the Principal. SUPERVISORY
RESPONSIBILITIES: in accordance with the District's policies and
- Supervises Manpower workers as directed by the
Principal/Director of Buildings and Grounds. EDUCATION and
EXPERIENCE an equivalent combination of education, training and
experience will be considered.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or a
minimum of one month of related experience and/or training; or
equivalent combination of education and experience. KNOWLEDGE,
SKILLS and ABILITIES which may be representative but not all
inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Language Ability: Ability to read and interpret documents such
as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and
correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with students.
- Math Ability: Basic math skills required.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables
in standardized situations.
- Computer and Equipment Skills: To perform this job
successfully, an individual should have knowledge and experience
with standard office equipment including photocopiers and telephone
COMPETENCIES to perform the job successfully, an individual should
demonstrate the following competencies:
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in
positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification;
responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; able
to read and interpret written information.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely
manner; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management
direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments;
commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals;
completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities;
uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals
and objectives; develops realistic action plans.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures;
determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports
potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; works with integrity and
ethically; upholds school district values.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and
explains reasoning for decisions.
- Mental toughness - Maintains composure, keeps emotions in
check, controls anger, and avoids aggressive behavior, even in very
difficult situations. EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM THE JOB which may
be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly
associated with this position.
- Standard office equipment including a facsimile machine,
photocopier and telephone system.
- Standard Cleaning equipment and utensils including, mops,
brooms, buckets, sponges, sander, shovel, squeegees, brushes, and
cleaning chemicals. WORK ENVIRONMENT environmental or atmospheric
conditions commonly associated with the performance of the
functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions, non-weather and
works near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles;
toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The employee is
occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places; outdoor
weather conditions; extreme cold (weather and non-weather); extreme
heat (weather and non-weather) and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually
- This individual may be exposed to potentially hazardous bodily
fluids. PHYSICAL ABILITIES that are commonly associated with the
performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 100
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job,
the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to
finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or
balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is
occasionally required to talk or hear.
Keywords: Hillsboro R-III School District, Columbia , Custodian - Evenings, Other , Hillsboro, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...