Engineering Equipment Operator (Fire)
Company: Department Of Agriculture
Posted on: June 12, 2021
THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of
announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available
source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and
qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the
location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific
locations where jobs are being filled and the dates when
applications are due for these locations can be found on the Forest
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
Learn more about this agency
- Operate engineering equipment, such as graders, tractors with
bulldozer or angledozer blades, front-end loaders, backhoes, trench
diggers, and large industrial tractors.
- Operate engineering equipment on all types of terrains, close
to buildings, trees, drop offs, rocks, or other obstructions and
- Excavate, backfill, grade, or level earth to rough
specifications on all types of terrain.
- Move earth on mountains and steep slopes, graded curves and
shoulders, rocky or soft ground, hilly forests, and other similar
rough features to grade the earth to the general contour desired on
trails, roads, canals, tunnels, or construction sites.
- Perform rough grading as well as fine surfacing on flat or
- Operate a variety of heavy equipment for fire suppression
- Have an understanding of fire behavior, fuels, weather and
topography to safely and effectively perform initial attack on
- Work is generally performed in steep, hilly, rocky, and other
types of adverse terrain
- Suppression activities may be under immediate supervision,
however, incumbent may be required to conduct suppression
- Adjust equipment attachments for proper positioning and working
order, making adjustments without stopping the power unit or the
- Steer and operate by using clutches, levers, brakes, and valves
according to the slope or tilt.
- Transport heavy equipment to job site.
- Perform wildfire suppression support as directed within
training and physical capabilities and other duties as
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnights on
fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
5716 Engineering Equipment Operating
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective
Service or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background
investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to
have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check.
To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and
responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Initial appointment is subject to satisfactory completion of
- This is a Test Designated Position. You will be tested for
illegal drugs prior to appointment and randomly thereafter.
Appointment and continued employment is conditional on negative
- Must pass the Work Capacity Test for certain Interagency Fire
Program Management or Fire Program Management positions.
- Willing to live/work in remote locations
- Some Fire positions may have Conditions of Employment such as:
a valid state driver's license; a commercial driver's license
(CDL); pre-appointment and random drug testing; or a physical or
- There may be additional Conditions of Employment not listed
here, however applicants will be notified of any specific
requirements at the time a tentative job offer is made.
- Under age 37; less than age 37 after subtracting the months of
Permanent Federal Service in a primary or secondary firefighter/law
enforcement position or a veteran preference eligible, older than
age 37 and is requesting a waiver to the requirement.
In order to qualify, you must meet the eligibility and
qualifications requirements as defined below by the closing date of
the announcement. For more information on the qualifications for
this position, visit the Office of Personnel Management's General
Schedule Qualification Standards.
Your application and resume must clearly show that you possess
the experience requirements. Transcripts must be provided for
qualifications based on education. Provide course descriptions as
Selective Placement Factors
Primary firefighter positions include the following age
requirements: Under age 37 -OR- less than age 37 after subtracting
the months of Permanent Federal Service worked in a primary or
secondary firefighter/law enforcement position -OR- a veteran
preference eligible, older than age 37 and is requesting a waiver
to the maximum age requirement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including
volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace
Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional;
philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social).
Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and
skills and can provide valuable training and experience that
translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for
all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
FIREFIGHTER RETIREMENT COVERAGE: This is a primary/rigorous
position covered under the special retirement provisions of 5 USC
8336(c) for the Civil Service Retirement System and of 5 USC
8412(d) for the Federal Employees Retirement System.
WORK CAPACITY TEST (WCT) for Wildland Firefighters: This
position participates in wildland firefighting activities. Based on
the type of work performed, TAKING and PASSING the WCT at the
MODERATE level is a condition of employment.
To receive consideration for this position, you must provide
updated required documents and meet all qualification requirements
by the closing date of this announcement.
This job does not have an education qualification
Keywords: Department Of Agriculture, Columbia , Engineering Equipment Operator (Fire), Other , Salem, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!